Friday, May 18, 2007

Thursday 12th April - London to Istanbul


Yeehah!!! I've escaped crappy old London town!!! After battling peak hour morning bus and tube traffic from east to west I made Heathrow airport just in time to board my flight to Istanbul. The plane was practically empty so I sprawled out and waved good bye to England yet again. A huge THANKYOU to Jo for letting me stay with the beautiful Brazillians she lives with while she was away.
We arrived at Istanbul airport a little late and discovered after waiting in the customs line for 20 minutes that I was sposed to get a visa first so had to go and line up for a visa... 20 minutes and one nasty turkish biatch later, I was back in the customs line and silently freaking out as I heard my name over the PA system ordering me to go to the Information counter - which was on the other side of customs and beyond the baggage collection area...
I quickly located my backpack and the info desk. Luckily I was only being summonsed because my transfer bus driver was waiting for me and was worried coz we were late.
Half an hour of crazy driving later we pulled up at one of the dodgiest hotels I've had the pleasure of staying at so far but fortuneately looks were deceiving and I was given a nice small room for the next three nights and the food here aint half bad.
Before dinner I had a quick wander round the neighbourhood to find an ATM. It turns out I'm only a block away from the awesome Blue Mosque. It also turns out its hazardous for a lone white female to be wandering the streets of Istanbul... The men are very "friendly" and while most were offering to show me where I was sposed to be going, I'm sure it was more of a chance to sell me something than the lost rabbitintheheadlights look in my eyes that prompted them to offer their services...
I quickly found an ATM and my way back to the hotel. Dinner was nice even if beer is a little pricey but all in all not such a bad day. I meet the rest of the tour group tomorrow night and am looking forward to sleeping in!!!

No comments: