Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Whangarei to Kerikeri

Now, before you smarty pants tell me I haven’t driven very far today (approx 90 km’s) bear in mind the fact I drove the long way round along the Twin Coast Discovery trail which took me to Dargaville, Waipoua Forest, Kiakohe, Kaitaia, Mangonui, Taupo Bay and then into Kerikeri. All up the day took about 8 hours relaxed driving – well except for the 50km’s I had the fuel light on with no petrol station in sight… Reckon I only just rolled into that heaven sent Shell but then again something heaven sent surely wouldn’t be charging $1.89/litre, would it??? Ouch – should have checked the cost of petrol before disembarking on this voyage…
Anyways, I’ve had a lovely day with spectacular scenery of trees and hillsides and mountains. All very green on this side of the world.
Two special mentions… One – Tane Mahuta (Maori for ‘Lord of the Forest’) is the largest known kauri tree in the world. 51m tall, 14m round, 1500 years old. When I got there a local maori was singing to the tree (its his job apparently). Such an outstanding and moving voice it gave me shivers.


Two – Taupo Bay – absolutely gorgeous. It’s off the main road between Mangonui and Kerikeri and is a little beach snuggled between huge rocky outcrops. It’s so special its even got its own Tsunami Plan! :o)

So tonight I’m in Kerikeri and will head in the direction of Tauranga tomorrow. Another big drive but its come to my attention I have no where near as much time as I’d like… But on the other hand that just means I’ll have to come back again… :o)

No comments: