Friday, October 22, 2010

Kerikeri to Thames and Thames to Rotorua

Kerikeri to Thames (Thursday)
Another pretty long driving day today but had a wander round Kerikeri and a few others along the way. Tonight I’m in Thames which is on the Coromandel Peninsula and I’ve actually met up with the Belgians from Whangarei, one of whom was on the dive boat with me. Not so lonely in the communal areas when ya know someone :o)
There’s no network here at Thames unless I pay for the van parks access but as I’ve already paid for my own, I’ll hold off until mine kicks in somewhere else.
The weather has turned super windy and mega cold. I reckon that extra blanket I got yesterday will come in handy!! All I need now is some winter clothes – I thought the weather would be nice over here :o(
Planning to cruise around the Peninsula tomorrow and end up in Tauranga. In theory there’s not too much driving time in that and it’ll be a good launching base for the following day.

Thames to Rotorua (Friday)
Absolutely frikkin glorious day today. The weather has cleared up and I’ve enjoyed the majestic Coromandel Coast. Rolling hills, coastal drives and forested mountains have dominated the day. The roads are so curvy and twisty they’d easily give the Bolivian Death Road a run for its money! I’ve also just checked out cathedral Cove and the surrounding bays of the Hahei area. Truly beautiful.

I’m currently in Waiti deciding where to head to tonight. Most likely Rotorua – depending on how long it takes to get there.

No comments: