Saturday, December 08, 2007

Inca Trail



YEEHAH!!! I made it!!

Not only did I manage to get passed the authorities with an emergency passport (the girl before me nearly didnt get in so I was packing it...) but I´ve survived the four hardest days of my life!!!

Day 1 was just getting there, getting in and getting to our first camp site. Generally the walking was pretty good and we got in just on sunset for our sponge baths and an awesome dinner.
Day 2 was total punishment. I honestly dont know how I survived except to say I had a very strong will and there was no way I was going back in a helicopter or on a donkey!!! We had to go through two passes and the first one had me in tears. It wasn´t so much the hiking as the lack of oxygen thanks to the altitude. You can train all ya want for something like this but its the altitude thats the maker or breaker...
Day 3 was much the same altho we got to camp early in the afternoon - thank god - for a rest and to be ready for a 4am start the next day... Except a few of us stayed up drinking... Oops...
Day 4 was today and the last day of our hike. Compared to day 2 it was a walk on the beach and I couldnt be happier that I made it. The view as you go through Intipunku (the Sungate) is absolutely worth all the hard work and its gotta be one of the most rewarding things I´ve ever done.

The walk is not just a physical challenge. It pushes your mind and will power to the limits too. I have to catch a bus and train back to Cusco now but will add more later.

WOOHOO!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOOHOOOOOO Congratulations - Thats our girl!!....Luff ya... M&D.:):)