Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A tandem and a trip to Canungra

well... where to start... things have been pretty hectic the last couple weeks with trying to get fit, getting ready for Canungra and my next adventure overseas and soaking up the glorious sunshine but seeing as I fly off to Rio tomorrow morning, I'm staying up late tonight to write up some recent happenings...







Last fortnight Scott took me for a tandem flight at Merewether. I haven't been in the air since about February so it was great to get back up there again. I think I would like to start flying again when I get back from South America in January. By then it will be almost a year since I last flew and I'll be taking baby steps to get back up there... Thanks heaps for the flight Scott!!

From the 12th to the 21st Oct we have been living it up in sunny Canungra for a hang gliding comp. I drove up with Monica and Scott on the Thursday night and we arrived about 10 hours later on Friday morning. After setting up camp we drove up to the Mount Tamborine launch and found many pilots already setting up ready to fly. One of the Victorians had a camel on his glider so we couldnt resist getting a pic of it with the ducks...







As usual Tigger also made an appearance...



During a wander through Canungra on the weekend, Monica found a lovely pink sparkly riding crop and it was purchased with many a cheeky grin... Each day during the comp "the whip" could be found somewhere at the briefing or on launch... Stuie's love of it could only be described as disturbing...



Monica wasn't driving for anyone this year so we had some time to explore Canungra and surrounding areas... A Mt Tamborine hotel St Benards came highly recommended by Kylie so we checked it out and had lunch there. The food was awesome (I had scrumptious calamari) and the ducks got to meet the big dog who "guards" the door...






Another day Mon & I visited the Vodka distillery. This place was conveniently right next door to the cheese factory so the drive there was well worth it. The distillery makes about 40 different flavours of vodka and altho I was very impressed with the Jaffa flavour, I ended up getting a Bells of St Clements bottle (oranges, lemons, grapefruit). On our way back to the car we were confronted by this huge peacock.






On the second Saturday, Monica and I drove up the long, steep, windy road to O'Riellys to have a look at the treetop walk. I resisted the temptation to jump around on the bridge for Mon's sake but was tempted to go back for a second round by myself so I could but hunger won me over so we stopped for lunch before taking the long drive back down again...


All up it was a great week. The guys got in lots of flying and the red faces and presentation nights were a lot of laughs. I dont think I'll ever forget Speedys rendition of Ring of Fire... I hope someone got it on video coz it'd be a surefire youtube winner!!! The last couple of pics are just randoms I couldnt resist...

Tomorrow morning the ducks and I begin our next overseas adventure. first stop will be Brazil followed by Argentina, Equador, Peru, Bolivia, Mexico and Spain. I'll do my best to blog as often as I can however photo's may not be added until after I get back in January.


Cheerio!!!







No comments: