Friday, October 26, 2007

I go to Rio... De Janiero...

Oh boy... After 36 hours, one bus, four flights, three stopovers and a taxi, I finally made it to Rio in one piece and crawled into my hotel bed at 4am with earplugs in for some well needed, undisturbed sleep... Six hours later I was downstairs tackling breakfast with no knife or english translations so I stuck to the things I could easily identify like white bread and watermelon and resolved to be more adventurous tomorrow when was brain was functioning properly again... Well, as properly as it can anyways... :)




After brekky I took a walk along the famous Copacabana Beach and found some Cows on Parade amongst the stalls and palm trees. One side of the road is packed with all types of hotels with restaurants and pizzarias at their doors while the other side is km´s of sand and palm trees and beach soccer fields... If I´d ever been to California I guess I´d say it loooks a bit like that... Round the corner to one side is Inpanema where all the rich folks live and around the other side is Sugarloaf Mountain and Red Beach. Somewhere behind all these goodies is Corcovado (aka Christ the Redeemer hill and statue) and at around 700metres high, it has the pleasure of overlooking this picturesque city. Today unfortunately has been overcast, foggy, humid and rainy all day but you can just tell it was would be awesome on a sunny day!!




This afternoon I took a tour up to Sugarloaf Mountain after deciding tomorrow might be better weather for corcovado. Luckily the sky cleared up a little while we were there so the ducks and I got some choice photos.


On the way home we visited the Metropolitan Cathedral and then I had dinner and a beer at a pizzaria on Copacabana beach at sunset while i wrote in my diary.
I must say when i first got off the plane and was overwhelmed with the smell of pee, I was a little worried but as the day wore on and I warmed up to the people and the beauty surrounding me, I embraced the welcoming atmosphere and learnt to breathe through my mouth instead... :)

No comments: